Programme And Admission

Who can apply for Lingoinn’s homestay programme?

Lingoinn welcomes adult learners of all backgrounds and language levels to apply for our programme.

Does Lingoinn's programme require prior knowledge of Chinese?

No. Learners of all levels are welcome to apply.

How long is Lingoinn’s homestay programme?

Our homestay programme can be any duration from 1-4 weeks or longer.

Can I combine two or more cities for my homestay programme?

Yes. You can choose any number of cities where our host teachers are available and stay with them for any duration you like.

When should I arrive for the homestay programme?

All our homestay programmes start on Monday. You need to arrive at your host teacher’s home on Saturday or Sunday.

When do I have lessons during homestay?

Your one-to-one lesson with the host teacher is scheduled on Monday to Friday at agreed time slot(s).

Where do my lessons take place?

Your lessons will take place either at your host teacher’s home or onsite (e.g. at a local market, park, art studio, etc.) depending on the lesson content.

Do I need a visa for going to China?

Yes. We advise you to obtain a tourist visa for the homestay programme. More visa information can be found on our website.

Does Lingoinn help with my visa application?

Yes. We advise learners on the application and issue an invitation letter to ensure the application goes smoothly.

What should I do if I have pre-existing health conditions?

You need to notify Lingoinn of any pre-existing health conditions when you apply for the programme. We’ll then try to best accommodate your needs.

Do I need health insurance for my homestay?

Yes. All Lingoinn learners are strongly encouraged to have international health insurance coverage during their stay in China. If you would like insurance recommendations, please contact us for assistance.

Travel And Daily Life in China

What type of personal toiletries are available in China?

We advise you to carry tissue paper at all times while in China, as many public bathrooms do not provide toilet paper. All common sanitation products (e.g. toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, etc.) can be bought at any supermarkets which include a variety of Western brands.

What voltage is used in China? Should I bring a converter?

The voltage in China is 220V, while in the UK it’s 240V. Check the voltage range on your device prior to your arrival. Many electronics range from 110–240V, making them safe for use in China. However, not all plugs are compatible with Chinese outlets in which case a converter can be purchased.

Do I need vaccinations before going to China?

Some learners choose to receive certain vaccinations before going to China. Please consult your GP concerning pre-departure health checks and vaccinations.

Can I drink tap water?

We strongly discourage learners from drinking tap water in China. Local Chinese do not drink tap water unless it’s been boiled first. Bottled water is safe and easily accessible.

I’m a vegetarian/vegan. Will I be OK in China?

Although the number of vegetarian/vegan restaurants in China is small, you can always insist that you do not eat meat and request for vegetarian dishes when dining outside. Your host teacher will cater for your special diet when you have meals at home. She/he will teach you the basic vocabulary to make sure you can order a vegetarian/vegan meal if you are beginner learner.

I have food allergies. Will it be a problem in China?

As long as you inform Lingoinn of any food allergies prior to your arrival, your host teacher will be able to accommodate your needs. She/he will also teach you the basic vocabulary needed to communicate this information in Chinese. You can easily avoid problems by communicating well and paying careful attention to what you eat when you dine outside.

Can I use ATMs in China?

ATMs are conveniently placed throughout most cities in China. You can use Visa, Mastercard and Maestro to withdraw money but a fee of 3% is charged for each transaction. You can withdraw a maximum of 2,500 yuan during a single transaction.

How to use mobile pay?

Mobile pay is one of the most popular payment methods in China. If you plan to stay there for a while and want to have the convenience, you can take your valid passport to a Chinese bank and obtain a card. You then download Wechat or Alipay and link your smartphone with your bank card.

How does money exchange work in China?

You can exchange money in most Chinese banks with your passport presented.

Can I access all social media platforms and websites in China?

Unfortunately, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Google, Twitter, WhatsApp and a few other social networking and blogging sites can’t be accessed in China. You can gain access to these sites only through the use of a VPN (Virtual Private Network) that allows users to connect to proxy servers outside of China.

Travel And Daily Life in Taiwan

What voltage is used in Taiwan? Should I bring a converter?

In Taiwan, the standard voltage is 110 volts at a frequency of 60 Hz. Some newer buildings might have a voltage of 220 volts. If your electronic devices or appliances are designed to operate at a different voltage, you are likely needing a converter or transformer. You also need a plug adapter to match the physical shape of the electrical outlets in Taiwan, as they typically use a Type A or Type B plug.

Do I need vaccinations before going to Taiwan?

From September 2021, there are no specific vaccinations required for entry into Taiwan. However, it is recommended to ensure that routine vaccinations are up to date before traveling to any destination.

Can I drink Tap water in Taiwan?

We strongly discourage learners drinking tap water in Taiwan unless it has been filtered. Local Taiwanese do not drink tap water even after boiled.

I am a vegetarian/vegan. Will I be ok in Taiwan?

There are a lot of vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Taiwan. Most of the ordinary restaurants also have some vegetarian and vegan dishes that you can choose from.

Can I use ATM in Taiwan?

ATMs are conveniently placed throughout most cities in Taiwan. You can easily find it on street or convenience stores. However, you might be charged fees for each transaction, the amount depends on your card or bank. You can use any credit card or debit card for your payment hence you might not really need to use ATMs.

How to use mobile pay?

Mobile pay is one of the most popular payment methods in Taiwan. You can link your card with Apple pay or Google pay, or apply for Line pay after downloading the Line app. It’s very simple and easy to use.

How does money exchange work in Taiwan?

You can exchange money in all the banks with your passport presented. But some of the currencies they might not accept. It’s better to prepare the most common currencies like$¥£€

Can I access all social media platforms and websites in Taiwan?

Yes, all the social media platforms and websites can be accessed in Taiwan. You do not need to use VPN (Virtual Private Network) to gain access.

What is the must-try activity when visiting Taiwan?

Karaoke KTV! The KTVs are open 24 hours for easy access whenever the mood strikes you. And they do provide very tasty local food that you can order while singing and enjoying the meal at the same time.

Where can I eat when it's late?

Night markets in Taiwan are the places where you can find a lot of different local food. When you don’t know where to go, and it’s late, you can always try night markets. You can also buy clothes and play games there.

    We’ll contact you shortly to discuss your preference